Thursday, August 25, 2011

Stuff on the walls, in frames.

The original illustration I did for The Natural History Museum is on show, in a fancy black frame, at The Association of illustrators' Images Show - somewhat grandly subtitled the 'Best of British Illustration'.

Organised by the Association of Illustrators, I first entered the 'Images' competition in late 1992 as a second year degree student and got into the book and show, which I didn't expect to do at that time. The piece is below; an A1 pastel pencil drawing showing my flatmate's knees! Work offers rolled in as a consequence, but with so much work to do on what was a very packed, old-fashioned degree (27 briefs in the first 9 months, 19 briefs in the second year, and 22 separate pieces of work for my final project plus third year briefs, competitions and collaborations) there wasn't time to take them up, which was a shame.

I've entered it almost every year since, and sometimes I'm chosen, sometimes I'm not. I like the fact that I can't just assume I'll get in - depends who's judging of course! (I've been a judge too, which was immense fun but bloody hard work) - and whether the work is any good...

Billed as 'the premier and longest running jury-selected illustration annual and touring exhibition in the UK', the exhibition is a showcase for some of the busiest commissioned illustrators in the UK today. This one features new work by illustrators whose work you'll have seen out and about as well as graduates and excited newbies.

You can win prizes too, in the categories of Advertising, Books, Children's Books, Design, Editorial, New Media, Self Promotion and New Talent. I have never won a prize, but then I'm not the gong-winning type!

Images 35 tour dates and venues:

26 August - 2 September 2011
Bankside Gallery, 48 Hopton Street, London, SE1 9JH

Darlington Civic Theatre and Arts Centre: 26 Sept-30 Nov 2011
University of Derby: 5 Dec 2011-5 Feb 2012
Viewpoint Gallery, Plymouth: 13 Feb-14 April 2012
Aberystwyth Arts Centre: 30 April-10 June 2012
Prescot Museum: 3 August - 16 October 2012







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails